How do I make a police report?

A person can come to the Greencastle Police Department in person and speak to a dispatcher by picking up the phone on the south wall of our lobby.  Explain to the dispatcher what the nature of the complaint is and the dispatcher will notify the on-duty Officers who will then come to the station and speak with the complainant.

A person can call (765)653-3155 or (765)653-3156 (press 0 at the prompt) at any time to make a complaint and the dispatcher will then dispatch the on-duty Officers to the location of the complaint.

How do I obtain a copy of an incident or accident report?

A person can obtain a copy of their incident or accident report in person at the Greencastle Police Department.  The type of payment that is accepted includes: cash, personal check, or money order.

Accident Report:  $5.00

Incident Report: $5.00

Photographs: $5.00 (CD)

How do I apply for a handgun permit?

Go to the Indiana State Police website to begin the handgun license application process.  Complete the online application making sure you read and answer each question carefully before submitting the application.

Once the application is submitted, you need to schedule an appointment to have your finger prints taken electronically (locally DixieChopperBusinessCenter) and the cost is $9.95.

Once you have completed the finger printing process, bring in your receipt, valid ID, and local fee and your application will be completed and electronically submitted to the State Police for final approval.  If the handgun permit is approved; the permit will be mailed to the address that is on your application.

Applications are taken Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Applicants must live within the City limits of Greencastle.

The applicant may pay in cash (exact change); check; or money order for the local filing fee.  Please choose from one of the following license types:

License Type                                                                                 Local Fee        State Fee

Four Year Personal Protection                                                     $10.00             $30.00

Lifetime Personal Protection/No Current Valid License        $50.00             $75.00

Lifetime Personal Protection/Current Valid License              $40.00             $60.00

Four Year Hunting and Target                                                     $10.00             $5.00

Lifetime Hunting and Target/No Current Valid License       $50.00             $25.00

Lifetime Hunting and Target/Current Valid License             $40.00             $20.00

How do I change my name and/or address on my handgun permit?

If you currently hold a valid handgun permit and your name and/or address has changed, you are required to notify the Indiana State Police of the change within 60 days.  The person with the valid permit must go the Indiana State Police Firearms Licensing webpage and click on the Duplicate Firearms License/Name or Address Change request link.  The person must complete the form, print the completed form, and then mail, fax, or email the completed form to the Indiana State Police.

Where can I find the Sex Offender registry?

There are two sex offender registries in the State of Indiana.  One is maintained by the Indiana Criminal Justice Institute and the other is maintained by the Indiana Sheriff’s Organization.  The Indiana Sheriff’s Registry will provide you with an address and photo of the offenders in your area.  You can view the Indiana Sheriff’s Sex Offender Registry at

How do I report Child Abuse?

If you suspect a child is being abused or neglected, call Indiana’s Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline today.  It is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.  The caller’s information is kept anonymous so there are no concerns of your information being shared with anyone.

Indiana Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline 1-800-800-5556

What is the Indiana Curfew Law?

IC 31-37-3

Chapter 3. Curfew Violations

IC 31-37-3-1


IC 31-37-3-2

Children 15 through 17 years of age; requirements for detention or custody

Sec. 2. (a) It is a curfew violation for a child fifteen (15), sixteen (16), or seventeen (17) of age to be in a public place:

  1. between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. on Saturday or Sunday;
  2. after 11 p.m. on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday; or
  3. before 5 a.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday.

(b) A law enforcement officer may not detain a child or take a child in custody based on a violation of this section unless the law enforcement officer, after making a reasonable determination and considering the facts and surrounding circumstances, reasonably believes that:

(1) the child has violated this section; and

(2) there is no legal defense to the violation.

IC 31-37-3-3

Children less than 15 years of age; requirements for detention or custody

Sec. 3. (a) It is a curfew violation for a child lest than fifteen (15) years of age to be in a public place after 11 p.m. or before 5 a.m. on any day.

(b) A Law Enforcement Officer may not detain a child or take a child in custody based on a violation of this section unless the law enforcement officer, after making a reasonable determination and considering the facts and surrounding circumstances, reasonably believes that:

(1) the child has violated this section; and

(2) there is no legal defense to the violation.

IC 31-37-3-3.5


Sec. 3.5. (a) It is a defense to a violation under this chapter that the child was emancipated:

  1. under IC 31-37-19-27 or IC 31-6-4-15.7 (before its repeal);
  2. by virtue of having married; or
  3. in accordance with the laws of another state or jurisdiction; at the time that the child engaged in the prohibited conduct.

(b) It is a defense to a violation under this chapter that the child engaged in the prohibited conduct while:

(1) accompanied by the child’s parent, guardian, or custodian;

(2) accompanied by an adult specified by the child’s parent, guardian, or custodian;

(3) participating in, going to, or returning from:

(A) lawful employment;

(B) a school sanctioned activity;

(C) a religious event;

(D) an emergency involving the protection of a person or property from an imminent threat of serious bodily injury or substantial damage;

(E) an activity involving the exercise of the child’s rights protected under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution or Article 1, Section 31 of the Constitution of the State of Indiana, or both, such as freedom of speech and the right of assembly; or

(F) an activity conducted by a nonprofit or government entity that provides recreation, education, training, or other care under the supervision of one (1) or more adults;

(4) participating in an activity undertaken at the prior written direction of the child’s parents, guardian, or custodian; or

(5) engaged in interstate or international travel from a location outside Indiana to another location outside Indiana.

What is Child Abuse and Neglect?

Child abuse covers a wide variety of issues.  At a basic level, child abuse is an action or lack of action by the parent, guardian, or custodian seriously endangering child’s physical or mental health.  Sexual abuse, physical abuse, illegal manufacturing of a drug or controlled substance occurring where a child lives, or allowing a child to commit a sex offense are all examples of child abuse or neglect.

Child neglect results from the inability, refusal, or neglect of parent, guardian, or custodian to supply a child with necessary food, clothing, shelter, medical care, education, or supervision.

How old does a child need to be before they can stay home alone?

According to Indiana law, a parent is ultimately responsible for the supervision of their child until the child reaches the age of 18.  Often parents leave their children unattended at an earlier age or allow children younger than age 18 to provide childcare for other children.  Under the age of 18, the law gives parents discretion to make these decisions based on the perceived risk and weighing such factors as maturity of the child, physical environments risks, etc.

What is the City of Greencastle’s Noise Ordinance?

Sec. 6-146      Noise

  1. No person shall permit excessive noise or persons of disorderly conduct to assemble in any house which annoys, disturbs, injures or endangers the health, peace or safety of others within the City.
  1. No person shall operate any sound amplification system or any other machine, device or equipment which produces sound outside of buildings or other enclosed structures which would disturb the peace or welfare of the neighborhood between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m.  An exemption may be granted upon request to the Greencastle Common Council for a specific event.
  1. No person shall cause, allow or permit noise, music, and or sounds from any radio, stereo, or other sound amplification system which is plainly audible at a distance of twenty-five (25) feet or more from any moving or stationary vehicle.
  1. Any person who violates any provision of this section and any person who aids or assists therein, shall be subject to a fine of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) for the first citation and fifty dollars ($50.00) for each subsequent citation.

Can Golf Carts be Driven on City Streets in Greencastle?

The City of Greencastle Common Council has decided not to take any action in drafting a City Ordinance that would allow golf carts to driven on the City Streets of Greencastle.  Therefore golf cartscannot be driven on the city streets within the City limits of Greencastle.

Where do I Pay a City Ordinance Violation?

A person who receives a city ordinance violation can pay them at the Greencastle Police Department Monday-Friday excluding Holidays between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  A person can pay an ordinance violation by either cash, check or money order.  A person who has any questions about an ordinance violation can contact the Greencastle Police Dept. at (765)653-2925.

Where do I Pay a Traffic Violation?

A person who receives a traffic violation needs to contact the Putnam County Clerks Office within the Putnam County Court House for any questions regarding payment or contesting the ticket.  Their phone number is (765)653-2648.